Drivers are advised that changes are nearing completion at the intersection of North Depot Street/North Railroad Avenue and West Fesler Street.
The road improvements are anticipated to be completed and fully opened without any more temporary traffic control on Thursday, September 28th at 10:00 a.m.
The intersection improvements are designed to slow vehicles, provide better pedestrian access, and add bike lanes, while improving traffic flow through the intersection.
What has changed?
- The addition of median islands in North Railroad/Depot and West Fesler Streets, to guide and slow vehicle traffic;
- The addition of bike lanes through the intersection;
- Elimination of the STOP sign on northbound Depot Street;
- Installation of a STOP sign for westbound Fesler Street;
- Enhanced pedestrian crossing of West Fesler Street with a pedestrian refuge island.
What else has changed?
- Reduction from four vehicle travel lanes to two travel lanes on North Depot / North Railroad from West Main Street north to Alvin Avenue;
- The addition of bike lines north extending from West Main to Alvin Avenue;
- The addition of protected, center turning median on North Railroad extending from West Fesler to Alvin Avenue for vehicles turning in and out of driveways.
City staff strongly recommends that drivers obey all new signs, striping and pavement markers, and reduce driving speeds as the traveling public becomes familiar with the new changes.
This project is funded by a Highway Safety Improvement Program Grant and by gas tax revenues.