These resources can help identify theft victims clear up their records.
- Internet Crime Complaints
- Search Data Security Breaches
- Internet Safety and Kids
- Online Safety For Youth
If you are shopping:
- Stay alert and be aware of everything around you at all times.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash
- Carry your purse close to your body, not dangling by the strap. Put a wallet in an inside coat or front pants pocket.
- If you take your children shopping, teach them to go to a police officer or store securityguard if they get separated or get lost.
- Park in well-lighted spaces and as close to the store as possible, lock your vehicle’s doors, and hide packages in the trunk or under the seats.
- When you get home, if you made a big-ticket item purchase, cut up the box and put pieces into the recycling container. You don’t want the empty box to advertise to others that you have a brand-new expensive product.
If you are out for the evening:
- Turn on lights and a radio or the TV so that it appears someone is home.
- Lock all doors and windows while you are out – even if it’s for only a few minutes.
- Do not place packages or gifts near windows or in other high-visibility sites.