Shortcut to this webpage is www.cityofsantamaria.org/police1111 W. Betteravia Road
Santa Maria, CA 93455
(805) 928-3781 (non-emergency/business line)
Send A Message
The Santa Maria Police Department strives to protect and serve all those who live, work and/or visit Santa Maria. This is accomplished by working in cooperation with the community, promoting safety and enforcing the law. Professional police services include maintaining civil order, preventive patrol, investigations, traffic control and enforcement, criminalistics, crime prevention, drug enforcement, and abuse prevention. The department houses the public safety dispatch center for police and fire, which receives all emergency 9-1-1 and non-emergency calls for services and ensures that appropriate resources are dispatched on a timely basis.
Life Facing Bars – The Documentary
The Santa Maria Police Department recently completed a much-anticipated juvenile gang prevention documentary titled Life Facing Bars. This 40-minute film features local gang members exposing the lies and telling the truth about their experience with the street gang subculture. The department intends to use this film to raise gang awareness, and deter at-risk youth from gang involvement. The film is being distributed to our partners in law enforcement and education so they may share it with those most in need. The film is on YouTube (click the graphic to view).
Questions about gangs? View our videos for answers
Chief of Police
City Phone: (805) 928-3781 extension 2272
City Fax: (805) 922-0877
1111 W. Betteravia Road
EDUCATION & EMPLOYMENT
- M. L. University of Southern California
- B.S. California State University, Northridge
- Chief of Police, City of Santa Maria
- Police Commander, City of Santa Maria
- Captain, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
- Lieutenant, Sergeant & Deputy Sheriff, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
- Director Emeritus, National Tactical Officer’s Association
- California Association of Tactical Officers
- California Police Chief’s Association
Description Of Responsibilities:
Responsible for directing the personnel and equipment of the department to perform the following duties: preserving law and order, investigating complaints, arresting offenders, recovering stolen property, and regulating traffic.
In partnership with the community, we will provide impartial, ethical, and professional law enforcement services. We will take a leadership role in forming collaborative community efforts to find long-term solutions for the reduction of crime through prevention. We will strive to maintain the trust, understanding, and confidence of our residents, while working to improve the quality of life.
These Are Our Values
Our mission will be accomplished while remaining dedicated to the following principles:
RESPECT: We will honor the individual worth and contributions of each member of our organization.
INTEGRITY: We will not compromise our moral and ethical principles.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We will accept responsibility for our decisions and actions.
HONESTY: We will be forthright and truthful.
FAIRNESS: We will treat everyone in an equitable and dignified manner.
EMPATHY: We will be sensitive to the needs and feelings of others and to the cultural diversity of our community.
Law Enforcement Code Of Ethics
As A Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality and justice.
I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restrain; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.
I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.
I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession...law enforcement.
2019-20 Goals and Objectives
- Implement the Department’s proposed Measure U Strategic Plan by recruiting and hiring additional sworn officers and professional staff to increase the ranks of personnel to the Patrol, Traffic, and Detective Bureaus, enhancing the quality of service and safety of the community.
- Assure that high school emergency response plans are up-to-date, as one component of continuing to work in concert with the Mayor’s Task Force on Youth Safety to enhance prevention and intervention efforts.
- Enhance the Department’s focus on traffic safety by increased directed enforcement operations and the utilization of State Office of Traffic Safety grant funding to conduct DUI / Driver’s License checkpoints and saturation patrols.
- Complete installation and begin operation of the new Fire / Police Computer Aided Dispatch system, and Police Records Management System, and continue to pursue regional partnerships that benefit public safety and the financial interest of the City.
- Complete development of the area within Los Flores Ranch identified as the site of the Department’s outdoor firearms range facility. When operational, the site will provide a safe and secure location for the training of Santa Maria Police Department (SMPD) personnel, as well as law enforcement personnel from surrounding agencies.
- Develop and institute a Department-wide Wellness Program designed to promote a healthy work environment.
- Seek out and provide unique training opportunities for both sworn and professional staff personnel with an emphasis on ethics, risk management, and succession planning consistent with best management practices.
- Reduce the number of employee preventable traffic collisions by increasing driver safety awareness efforts, to include enhanced training opportunities and strict policy adherence.
- Develop a Department Mobile Field Force Response Team by way of extensive training, policy development, and equipment acquisition to provide a comprehensive approach for the resolution of civil disturbances with an emphasis on a peaceful outcome.
- Research and acquire technologies that improve organizational effectiveness. It is a goal of the Department to be on the cutting edge in implementing technological solutions to enhance forensic investigations, mobile capabilities, training, safety, communications, reporting, analysis, and transparency