Mayor Pro Tem
Date Last Elected: 2016
Term expires: 2020
Address (office): City Hall,
110 East Cook Street, Santa Maria, California 93454-5190
City Phone: (805) 925-0951 ext. 2191
City Fax: (805) 349-0657
Michael Moats was elected to the City Council in 2016. He has lived in Santa Maria for the last 39 years. He arrived to start a practice of medicine specializing in dermatology after receiving his MD degree from UCLA and completing his residency in dermatology at USC. Dr. Moats is a board certified dermatologist and has been a member in good standing on the medical staff at Marian Regional Center for the last 39 years. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology.
Michael Moats was born and grew up in west Los Angeles. He received his BA degree in biology also from UCLA. In Santa Maria Dr. Moats was appointed to the Santa Maria City Planning Commission in 2006 and served for seven years. He was a founder and is currently a board director of the Community Bank of Santa Maria from 2000 to present.
Michael is married to Susan Moats who serves as office manager for Moats Laser and Skin Care, which is the cosmetic division of the dermatology practice. They have four adult children and seven grandchildren. Michael is a long distance runner and has completed 43 marathons including Boston three times.
EDUCATION & EMPLOYMENT:
- BA degree UCLA, Biology, 1970
- MD degree UCLA, 1974
- Dermatology residency completed USC, 1978
- Private practice of dermatology Santa Maria, 1978 to present
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Dermatology and faculty of residency training at MRMC
- Member Board of Directors and Founder Community Bank of Santa Maria, 2000 to present
- Member and past Chair Santa Maria Planning Commission, 2006 to 2013
- Member and Past President Santa Maria Noontime Kiwanis Club, 1985 to present
- Member Santa Maria Rotary Breakfast, 2013 to present
- Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce, Santa Maria Elks, Committee INC
- Member Medical Staff Marian Regional Medical Center, 1978 to present