Councilmember / Mayor Pro Tem
Date Last Elected: 2018
Two terms, Term Expires: 2022
Address (office): City Hall,
110 East Cook Street, Santa Maria, California 93454-5190
City Phone: (805) 925-0951 ext. 2187
City Fax: (805) 349-0657
Etta Waterfield was elected to the City Council in November 2014. She was re-elected in November 2018 by voters in City Council District Four, the southeast portion of the City. View interactive map of districts.
Etta is the Executive Director of the Santa Maria Police Council, a non-profit organization that was established in August 2007 by a group of dedicated citizens who wanted to make a difference in their community (she is also a founding member). Its mission is to support the men and women of the Santa Maria Police Department by raising funds for the purchase of safety equipment, materials and training for the department over and above what the annual operating budget allows. As former District Representative for Senator Sam Blakeslee, she represented the Senator throughout the 15th District with an emphasis on Northern Santa Barbara County. She developed and implemented local outreach and public relations strategies, identified and vetted opportunities for and merits of district legislation, worked with range of local stakeholders to mobilize support and mitigate opposition to the Senator’s policy and outreach objectives.
Prior to that, she worked for more than a decade with the Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce Economic Development Commission (EDC), the Santa Maria Economic Development Association (EDA) and was also involved in creating the Central Coast Regional Technology Alliance which was the predecessor organization to the California Space Authority while with the EDA. In both capacities with EDC and EDA, Etta worked to attract new businesses while also fostering economic conditions that help existing businesses expand and create new jobs.
Etta and her husband Buck have lived in Santa Maria for more than 30 years. They have three grown children and eight grandchildren.
Etta was one of the first two Councilmembers to be elected since the City Council began converting to district elections from the at-large voting system, which was the practice before November 2018 (For more information about the district elections click here).
EDUCATION & EMPLOYMENT:
- Attended Allan Hancock College
- Executive Director, Santa Maria Police Council, Inc.
- District Representative, Senator Sam Blakeslee
- Executive Director, SMV Economic Development Commission
- Executive Assistant, SMV Economic Development Association
- Alternate Member, Santa Barbara County Association of Governments Board, 2015-present
- Alternate Member, Air Pollution Control District Board, 2015- present
- Alternate Member, Multi-Jurisdictional Solid Waste Task Group, 2015-present
- Member, Advisory Board Salvation Army
- Member, Board of Directors, Santa Barbara County Fair, 37th Agricultural District (Appointed twice by Governor Schwarzenegger
- City of Santa Maria, Planning Commissioner, 2003-2009 (Two Chairman Terms)
- City of Santa Maria, Planning Commissioner, 2011-2014 (One Chairman Term)
- Member, Board of Directors, Santa Maria Police Council, 2007-2012
- Member, Board of Directors, PCPA Foundation, 2010-2013
- Member, Board of Directors, Marian Outreach Program, 2010-2012
- 2009 "Woman of the Year" for the 33rd State Assembly District