Date Last Elected: 2020
Term expires: 2024
Address (office): City Hall,
110 East Cook Street, Santa Maria, California 93454-5190
City Phone: (805) 925-0951 ext. 2192
City Fax: (805) 349-0657
Carlos Escobedo was elected in to the City Council in November 2020 by voters in City Council District 1, the northwest portion of the City. He is a first-generation American who moved here with his family from San Martin de Hidalgo, Jalisco, Mexico, pursuing the American Dream. Like many in our community, he and his family arrived with a bag full of hopes and dreams.
He knows from experience what the dedication it takes to labor in the broccoli fields, how exhausting it is working as a cashier during the night shift, being a cook, and being a server in a hotel banquet department.
He works as Student Success Outreach Specialist at Allan Hancock College, providing support and guidance to thousands of Santa Marians in the process of applying to higher education and technical careers. He is Event Coordinator for Santa Maria Open Streets ¡Calles Vivas!. In its first edition, 2019, Open Streets brought together more than 150 free activity providers and around 20,000 community members on West Main Street (Highway 166). Due to the success of Open Streets, Carlos received recognition as the Young Professional 2019, awarded by the Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce.
He was Founding President of the first Toastmasters club in Spanish on the Central Coast “Toastmasters Valle de Santa María” (2018-2019). In 2019-2020 he served as Vice President of Membership, and he is currently serving as club Treasurer.
In 2020, Carlos received the Paul Harris Fellow award by Rotary International. He is Advisor for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Mid Central Coast, member of the Noncredit Advisory Committee, and the Rotary Club of Santa Maria South. Carlos also volunteers with the Santa Barbara County Veterans Stand Down, United Way, Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce, Bici Centro, Santa Barbara Foodbank of Santa Barbara County, and the Allan Hancock College program “Food Share Because We Care.”
He currently serves as Commissioner for the Fifth District on the Human Services Commission of Santa Barbara County. As Commissioner he works hard to protect and sustain the human services safety net that benefits thousands of individuals and families by having access to resources such as after-school programs, senior programs, counseling and case management, food, clothing, shelter, rental housing assistance, and job preparedness, to name a few.
Education & Employment
- Large-Scale Special Event Management Certificate from Global Good Impact (2019)
- Business: Executive Leadership - Certificate of Accomplishment from Allan Hancock College (2019)
- Bachelor of Arts degree in International Relations from the University of Guadalajara (2012 – 2016)
- Student Success Outreach Specialist, Allan Hancock College, 2018 to Present
- Event Coordinator “Santa Maria Open Streets ¡Calles Vivas!, Santa Barbara County Association of Government, 2018 to Present
- Membership sales, Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Event Coordinator “Downtown Fridays”, Emerald Wave Media
- Interpreter, City of Santa Maria
- Server, Santa Maria Inn
- Cook, Panda Express
- Cashier, Conserv Fuel
- Farm worker, Byrd Harvest Inc.
- Program Assistant, Allan Hancock College