Why buy when you can borrow? Borrow useful things from the Library for your home, projects and adventures!
The Santa Maria Public Library has always been a place where you can come to learn anything you are curious about – now we are offering you the tools to encourage that curiosity outside of the library building.
The Library of Things collection is funded through grants and the library’s materials budget — just like books. For now, in the early stages of this program, donations of “things” to the Library of Things collection are not being accepted.
Visit the Santa Maria Public Library Catalog to see all of the items in the Library of Things Collection. Filter for the items available at Santa Maria on the left-side navigation.
Library of Things Items
- Acoustic Guitar
- Cajon Percussion Box
- Frame Drums (2)
- Karaoke Machine
- Cricut Explore Air 2
- Dremel Rotary Tool
- Sewing Machine
- Digital Camera
- Digital Microscope
- Metal Detector
- Oculus Go
- Ozobot Bit Starter Pack
- Portable Projector
- VHS to DVD Converter
- Santa Maria Valley Discovery Museum family pass (temporarily unavailable)
New items are being added all the time! Check back soon for additional things to borrow.
Library of Things Policies
While the Library of Things is a program designed to spark curiosity, it is important to know that there are special rules in place for checking out and using these things.
- Library of Things items must be picked up and dropped off at the Santa Maria (main) branch
- One item from the Library of Things can be checked out per card holder at a time
- The loan period is three weeks with no renewals
- A late fee of 25 cents per day will be charged
- Patrons are responsible for damaged or lost items. This includes repair or replacement costs
- The equipment may be used only for lawful purposes and may be limited to check out by adults (over 18) because of safety issues