421 S. McClelland Street, Santa Maria, California 93454. (805) 925-0994
Find us on Google Maps
Please note that the Public Library and branch libraries will close at 5:00 p.m. on three days: New Year's Eve, Christmas Eve, and the day before Thanksgiving.
Local History Photographs
Make a Difference Volunteer
Find a great place to volunteer
The mission of the Santa Maria Public Library is to inspire lifelong learning, embracing and strengthening our diverse community through free and equal access to information, knowledge and ideas.
Through sharing knowledge we build a better community.
- Nurture student success with programs and mobile technology such as the grant-funded Chromebooks that bolster school achievement, build self-confidence and enhance social skills and life choices.
- Cultivate and promote parent/child interaction and learning with a variety of creative and innovative programs that foster the love of reading, writing, learning, and discovery through STEAM programs, Cowboy poetry events, bilingual storytime, baby and me programs, and afterschool homework help.
- Seek and apply for grant funding that augments the purchase of materials and funding of services that meet community needs of the Santa Maria Public Library and County-funded, City-operated branch libraries.
- Encourage community connections, interaction, and engagement in the library learning center through Makerspace programing for all ages and conversational language clubs in partnership with Allan Hancock College and the Central Coast Literacy Council.
- Provide a variety of literacy programs to all ages that enhance knowledge and awareness of library resources including digital resources, and enhance patrons’ ability to use language, images, computers, and other tools to understand, communicate, and gain useful and accurate knowledge.
- Engage the community by reaching out to diverse community groups to determine what matters to our residents, what their goals and aspirations for the community are, and how the library can help in addressing community challenges.
- Raise the library’s profile in the community and increase library use by promoting the library with public service announcements funded by the Santa Barbara Foundation Express grant, and collaborate with other community organizations such as by participating in outreach events and partnering with local schools.
- Review and redesign library webpages to streamline and improve aesthetics and access to information on topics such as parent and caregiver information, help for entrepreneurs and job seekers, health resources, and more.
- Explore technology and signage that will continue to help library customers serve themselves and enhance use of collections at the main and branch libraries.
- Promote staff development, work efficiencies, team-building, and workplace pride by implementing a continuous cross training plan across library divisions, and launching an annual all staff training day.
Phone: 805-925-0994 ext. 2321
EDUCATION & EMPLOYMENT:
- Master of Public Administration (Cal State University Long Beach)
- Master of Science in Library Science (University of Kentucky)
- Managing Librarian, Monterey County Free Libraries
- Acting Director, Pacific Grove Public Library
- Branch Librarian, Orange County Public Library
- Women's Fund of Northern Santa Barbara County
- County of Santa Barbara Library Advisory Committee
- American Association of University Women, Santa Maria Chapter Chair
- Black Gold Cooperative Library System
- California Library Association
- American Library Association
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees and directs operations of the Santa Maria Public Library and four County Branches in Library Zone III