Santa Maria Public Library (Main Library)
421 S. McClelland Street, Santa Maria, California 93454. (805) 925-0994
Find us on Google Maps
|New York Times - The New York Times is available to read online from within the Library. Check out our databases section.|
Please note that the Public Library and branch libraries will close at 5:00 p.m. on three days: New Year's Eve, Christmas Eve, and the day before Thanksgiving.
Local History Photographs
Make a Difference Volunteer
Find a great place to volunteer
The mission of the Santa Maria Public Library is to inspire lifelong learning, embracing and strengthening our diverse community through free and equal access to information, knowledge and ideas.
Through sharing knowledge we build a better community.
- Examine additional cost-effective opportunities for regional library services and continue to seek and pursue funding sources and sufficient County resources for additional materials and services that meet and augment the needs of the main library and County funded City-operated branch libraries.
- Explore and implement library procedures and processes that achieve fiscal sustainability and promote efficiencies in staff productivity, freeing staff to provide direct public service to library patrons.
- Reach out to residents of the community through a community needs assessment in a concerted effort to gather feedback regarding their aspirations for their lives and the community so the library can become a more visible collaborator for positive community change.
- Increase community awareness of and engagement with library programs, services, resources, and collections through staff outreach and networking, and creation of an electronic Library newsletter.
- Promote computer literacy to bridge the digital divide and enhance technology-related knowledge for adult learners and at-risk teens, and identify strategies to promote and increase participation in afterschool homework help for elementary aged children at risk for poor academic performance.
- Provide a comfortable and safe setting through additional presence of grant-funded on-site security and mental health counselors.
- Inspire innovators and creativity for all ages and families by increasing open hours in the Library Makerspace room, and expanding technological experiences with 3D printing technology, virtual reality, and digital media.
- As part of the City's overall alignment project to align employee skills and knowledge to City values, strengthen staff competencies, innovation, and operational excellence through cross training and library in-service staff training, to meet existing and future needs of the Department.
- Partner with other City departments or outside organizations to plan and present a series of programs related to career readiness and life skills for teens and adults.
- Strengthen library relationships with other local agencies and non-profits through participation in community events that bring information about library resources to at-risk families.
Phone: 805-925-0994 ext. 2321
EDUCATION & EMPLOYMENT:
- Master of Public Administration (Cal State University Long Beach)
- Master of Science in Library Science (University of Kentucky)
- Managing Librarian, Monterey County Free Libraries
- Acting Director, Pacific Grove Public Library
- Branch Librarian, Orange County Public Library
- Women's Fund of Northern Santa Barbara County
- County of Santa Barbara Library Advisory Committee
- American Association of University Women, Santa Maria Chapter Chair
- Black Gold Cooperative Library System
- California Library Association
- American Library Association
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees and directs operations of the Santa Maria Public Library and four County Branches in Library Zone III