Thomas T. Watson, City Attorney
204 E. Cook St., Santa Maria, CA. 93454 (805) 925-0951 ext. 2310
The City Attorney serves as legal advisor to the Council, City Manager and other City officials. The City Attorney approves all proposed ordinances, resolutions and other legal documents, and represents the City in all legal actions. The City Attorney's office also enforces the Santa Maria Municipal Code, but has no authority to address state law violations. The Santa Barbara County District Attorney's office enforces state laws, including most misdemeanors and felonies.
Some common examples of violations prosecuted by the City Attorney are listed below:
- Discharge of Weapons Within City Limits
- Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages in Public Places
- Party Disturbances
- Operating a Business Within City Limits Without a Business License
- Discharge of Prohibited or Hazardous Materials into the Public Sewer system
- Failure to Possess a Health Permit For Selling Food
- Curb Painting Without Consent of Property Owner
- All Municipal Code Violations Investigated by the City Attorney's Code Compliance Division.
- Animal Related Laws - i.e. possession of wild pigs, the number of dogs or cats allowed, etc.
City residents with limited funds who seek legal advice or counsel should contact the Legal Aid Foundation at (805) 922-9909 or California Rural Legal Assistance at (805) 922-4563. The City Attorney's office does not represent individual residents of Santa Maria