September 11 Commemoration
September 4, 2019
September 11th Commemoration
On September 11, 2001, the United States was the victim of a terrorist attack of horrific magnitude. Thousands of Americans lost their lives in the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, including over 300 firefighters.
On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 the Santa Maria Fire Department will commemorate the losses suffered by the nation, with a simple ceremony held at each fire station throughout the City. This will be a time of reflection to honor those lost during the tragedy of 9/11 and their families and to recognize those Americans who continue to protect our nation daily, both at home and abroad. The commemoration ceremony is modeled after recommended protocols established by the International Fire Service and adopted by the Fire Chiefs of Santa Barbara County and includes the following activities for the City of Santa Maria:
Fire apparatus will be pulled out on front drives at each fire station:
Fire Station 1 - 300 W. Cook Street
Fire Station 2 - 416 W. Carmen Lane
Fire Station 3 – 2305 N. Preisker Lane
Fire Station 4 – 2637 S. College Drive
Fire Station 5 – 1670 E. Donovan Rd.
- Those in attendance will be asked to gather around the station flagpole.
- Fire Station tones will be followed with a brief message of remembrance.
- Lowering of station flags to half-staff. (will be returned to full staff at 7:30 p.m.)
- A traditional series of horn blasts (3 sets of 5 blasts) from the station fire engine.
- One minute of silence for reflection.
- Brief comment from Ranking Officer at each of the Stations.
- Ceremony concluded. Public is welcome to visit firefighters and tour Stations.
The public, as well as firefighters, police officers, emergency medical personnel, and military personnel are invited to attend this commemoration ceremony, to provide a place for residents to take a moment out of their day and reflect on the events that took place on September 11, 2001.
Questions may be directed to the Fire Department, (805) 925-0951 extension 2338.
Department: Fire Department
Contact Person: Duty Battalion Chief
Telephone Number: (805) 925-0951 ext. 2338
E-mail Address: email@example.com