Special Events Calendar
615 S. McClelland Street
Santa Maria, CA 93454
Director of Recreation & Parks
City Phone: (805) 925-0951 ext. 2260
City Fax: (805) 925.4508
EDUCATION & EMPLOYMENT:
- Social Services, San Jose State University
- Social Work, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
- Public Administration, La Salle University
- Director of Recreation and Parks, City of Santa Maria
- Interim Recreation Superintendent, City of Santa Maria
- Recreation Supervisor, City of Santa Maria
- Facility Manager, City of Santa Maria
- Social Worker I, County of Santa Barbara
- Recreation Specialist, City of Santa Maria
- Recreation Specialist, Hayward Area District
- Teen Counselor, City of San Jose
- Kiwanis Club of Santa Maria
- United Way of the Central Coast
- Santa Maria Affiliate Santa Barbara Foundation
- Advisory Committee, Special Olympics Southern California
- North County American Red Cross Disaster Services
- American Red Cross
- Marital status: Married
- Children: Three
- General interests: Travel and photography
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for the daily operations and management of the Recreation and Parks Department. Provide staff support to the City Manager's Office, City Council and Recreation and Parks Commission. Supervise a staff of 30 full-time and 32 permanent part-time, assigned to 5 major divisions: Parks, Landscape Districts, Urban Forest, Recreation, and Administration. Services are provided in the following areas: city parks (225+ acres), part of Los Flores Ranch Park, publicly managed trees (30,000+), street medians, storm basins and rights-of-way (45+ acres), Santa Maria Town Center landscaping and parking structures, 7 major recreation facilities offering specialty recreation classes and programs and support to community based recreation programs i.e., youth basketball, youth soccer, etc.
- Develop a comprehensive action plan to address the critical lack of sports fields, and identify potential sites, funding sources, and construction and operational costs for a soccer complex, as well as operational models and economic impacts, and present it to the Recreation and Park Commission in the winter of 2016.
- Continue the implementation of recommendations from the Community Leisure Assessment and Action Plan as opportunities arise, including the use of Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) capital funds to expand recreational assets.
- Implement a systematic approach to water conservation in the park system, including re-vegetation of landscape areas, rotation of scheduled watering, use of non-potable water for irrigation and creation of a public education program about the Department’s water conservation efforts.
- Seek grant funding as well as seek increased sponsorship opportunities for the expansion of services to at-risk youth and those special events, marketing and education campaigns that foster community building.
- Provide an organizational atmosphere that fosters partnerships with local school districts, non-profit agencies, service groups and special interest organizations.
- Continue working with non-profit organizations, schools, health care providers, businesses, and funding partners throughout the Santa Maria Valley, in an effort to address the growing needs of families, youth and the homeless.
- Implement the new “ActiveNet” software system that provides more options for management of registering for programs, facility and facility rentals, to provide more convenient customer service and efficiencies.
- Develop staff training and succession programs using techniques provided through the City’s leadership academy.
- Renovate landscaping and irrigation throughout the City’s parks and landscape districts to address drought requirements to maintain the vibrant and welcoming atmosphere of Santa Maria. Provide parks, athletic fields and facilities that are safe, clean and inviting to our residents and visitors.
- Work cooperatively with other departments and community agencies in addressing community-wide issues and concerns; i.e. youth violence, the impacts of homelessness in City parks and facilities.