Where can I obtain a Restraining Order?
A restraining order can be obtained through paperwork filed with Superior Court. The Restraining Order is to be served by either the Sheriff's Civil Division Office or an uninvolved party to the action.

Do I have a warrant for my arrest and what is the bail?
To find out if you have a warrant for your arrest you need to contact the Superior Court at (805) 614-6590.

What are your fingerprinting hours and fees?
Fingerprinting on print cards is done from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday Friday with no appointment necessary. Each card is $13.70. Live Scan fingerprinting is by appointment only, please call 805-928-3781 ext 590 for an appointment fees vary by type of application. A valid photo ID is necessary for both types of fingerprinting. NOTE: Fingerprinting for Immigration purposes is no longer done here; please contact the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) in Los Angeles.

How do I make a police report?
If it is a non-emergency report call the Communication Center at (805) 928-3781 ext. 278 and notify the Communications Technician of the circumstances. If you dial 9-1-1, be prepared to tell the 9-1-1 emergency dispatcher the following information:

  • Where you are
  • The location where the incident is occurring (address, and cross street if possible)
  • What is happening
  • Who is involved
  • Whether weapons are involved (if a weapon is involved, provide details for officer safety)
  • If there are any injuries
  • Detailed descriptions, including race, sex, age, height, hair, eyes, clothing, facial hair, scars/tattoos
  • Vehicle involved/Direction of travel

Be prepared to remain on the phone call to assist the dispatcher. Do NOT hang up first; let the dispatcher end the conversation.

How do I have my child fingerprinted for identification?
You should contact your child's school principal and make arrangements through the school.

How do I get a copy of my report?
For a CRIME report you must be the victim of the crime. No suspect information will be given and there is a per page fee. For a TRAFFIC COLLISION report you must be an involved party.

How can I pick up my vehicle that has been impounded/stored?
You must be the registered owner of the vehicle. If you are not the registered owner, you must have a notarized letter from the registered owner authorizing the release to you. The vehicle must have current registration and you must have a valid driver's license. There is a $152.40 fee for release paperwork, which does not include the fee that will be charged by the tow yard for towing and storage.

How do I have a renter evicted?
You must call the Sheriff's Civil Division Office at (805) 346-7430.

How do I pick up my property?
You will need to call the Property Unit at (805) 928-3781 ext. 301 to make an appointment.

How do I find out about my parking citation?
You may call the Santa Maria Police Department traffic desk at (805) 928-3781 ext. 526 . If you would like to have your citation appealed you will need to fill out the Citation Review form available from the Records Bureau. You will be responsible for the citation fees until a dismissal is granted. You will be notified of the outcome of your appeal.

How do I get my "fix-it" ticket signed off?
You may come by the department Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and request a citation sign-off. There is a fee of $13.70 for the service which, when presented to the court, may also reduce your fine by that amount. Additional fees may also apply through the Court. Police Department staff is not allowed to sign off on proof of insurance; that is only done at the Court.

What are the Records Bureau hours?
Weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.

How can I find out if my neighbor is a sex registrant?
Check the Offender Watch section of this website.

*** Please note that fees are subject to change.