THE NEW SANTA MARIA MAIN PUBLIC LIBRARY

AN EXCITING NEW CHAPTER!
Learn all about your beautiful new Santa Maria Public Library on this webpage by clicking on the graphics below! More than 10,300 visitors celebrated the library's grand opening on Saturday, August 23, 2008. At nearly 60,000-square-feet, the building is twice the size of the old library, and the children's section is three times larger - AND it has an enchanted forest tree and mural! Expanded book collections, 77 public computers (30 in the computer lab, the rest are around the library), a children's theater, a library café, community meeting room (Shepard Hall) and a new literacy center are among the many features. Thanks to all the community members who have donated!

VIDEOS


Start to Finish
Construction from
2005 to 2008
(Time: 8:08)
library interior photo of lights on racks
Expert panel
describes the
new library
(prior to opening
(Time: 29:30)
people gathered for the Grand Opening of the new Library
Highlights of
Grand Opening Day
Ceremony Speeches
(Time: 6:59)
photo of Mayor Larry Lavagnino giving a speech at the Grand Opening of the new Library
Mayor's Speech at
Grand Opening Day
Ceremonies
(Time: 11:28)

PHOTOS, HISTORY, DONORS

color rendering of the new library
Photo Gallery
View the project
from start to finish
(102 photos)
graphic for library list of major donors
Thank you to these
residents and
businesses who
made generous donations

Compare the
two libraries
(what's inside)

The Library's
rich history
since 1909

What will
happen to the
old library

FLOOR PLANS


Architectural drawings

1st Floor
Layout
Old Library

1st Floor
Layout
New Library

2nd Floor
Layout
Old Library

2nd Floor
Layout
New Library

HISTORICAL PHOTOS

Carnegie Library, built in 1909
Carnegie Library, built in 1909
New Library dedicated in 1941
New Library
dedicated in 1941
Librarian Dorothy Nelson at the 1941 library
Librarian
Dorothea Nelson at
the 1941 library
Old Carnegie Library prior to demolition in 1966
Old Carnegie Library prior to demolition
in 1966
Moving into new Library in 1970
Moving into new
Library in 1970
Second and third photos (from left) are used with permission from the Santa Maria Times