Correspondence sent through the City Email system is public information and is copied to City administration.
Date Appointed: 2013
½ Term (appointed 2013) Term expires: 2014
Address (office): City Hall,
110 East Cook Street, Santa Maria, California 93454-5190
City Phone: (805) 925-0951 x191
City Fax: (805) 349-0657
Email: Download Hi-Res Photo Printable Biography
Willie Green was appointed to the City Council in February 2013, to fill a seat vacated by Alice Patino in the November 2012 election when she was elected Mayor.
Green is a part-time instructor at Allan Hancock College who has taught business law and management, executive leadership, and other courses at the campus since 2000.
A 14-year resident of Santa Maria, he has previously served on two City committees, including the Block Grants Advisory Committee and on the All-America City Committee. He also serves on the Fighting Back board of directors, and on the Police Advisory Council.
He has experience as a neutral State arbitrator for Costco-Wholesale Teamsters California; and was a staff negotiator in the Labor Law/Industrial Relations Division of Safeway Inc. in Northern California for 19½ years until retiring in 1991.
Since 1991, as an independent consultant, he has designed training courses and workshops in self-discipline, team building, career building and more, for such organizations as the San Francisco Sheriff’s Department; Thurgood Marshall Center for Successful Social Change, in Oakland; Cornerstone Missionary Baptist church, in Oakland; the Alameda Community Child Care Coordinating Council; and the U.C. Davis University Extension Program.
Green joined the U.S. Air Force at age 17 and retired in 1971. His career specialties were personnel recruitment and management, and law enforcement management, at various Air Force bases.
EDUCATION & EMPLOYMENT:
- Equivalency in Business at the Master’s level from the Professional Standards Committee at Allan Hancock College
- Legal education at Hastings College of the Law, University of California, at San Francisco
- B.S., Business Management, University of New Hampshire
- Associate Faculty Instructor, Allan Hancock College Business Department since
- Permanent arbitrator for Costco-Wholesale Teamsters California, ret.
- Safeway, Inc., ret.
- U.S. Air Force, Master Sergeant, ret.
- Member, Block Grants Advisory Committee, City of Santa Maria
- Member, All-America City Committee, City of Santa Maria
- Member, Fighting Back
- Member, Police Advisory Council
- Counselor, SCORE